Federico Viticci ruminating on why a September iPhone 5 launch makes sense:
Last, a September release means Apple could move the iPhone against the much more profitable holiday season. If a new iPhone comes out in September, how many users are going to buy one come Thanksgiving and Christmas? Remember the golden iPod days? Right.
I would add a couple more things:
- A September launch leaves room for the white iPhone 4 to launch in the next month. Thus Apple gets the “normal” press hype to push them into July.
- July announcement of iOS 5 and launch of Lion for Mac users pushes the press frenzy into September (all the press will be wanting to delve into the new Mac OS).
- September just makes way more sense — that’s when gifts are purchased, not June/July.
- Allows Apple to launch more things in iOS 5 and to give developers time needed to get their apps up to date.
- Eases the pain Verizon customers would feel — whom still would have had their iPhone 4s for less than a year.
At least that is what I am thinking right now.