Here’s my proposal (and it’s a compromise, I know): if you have a new thing you want to buy, and you let me use it first, I’ll pay you 5-10% of the price of that item.
Writing reviews is my favorite part of this site, and writing these reviews in general is something that I really enjoy doing day-to-day. However, buying items to review is also the most expensive part.
I can, and do, sell items off after I review them, but that’s not an easy process and often the sale doesn’t get made. I end up having a lot of gear left over, or sold off far too cheaply just so I can move on to the “next thing”. I could stop but it’s my favorite part of the site.
In one way then, this idea is a pre-sale of sorts. I buy something I otherwise wouldn’t because I know that item will get sold for a set price once I am done. In thanks for supporting this site, you get a small discount on an item you want to buy. Reviews are going to start dwindling to smaller/cheaper items on this site unless I get more help financially, that’s the honest truth, and something that I just cannot get around unless I go back to ads — a non-starter.
Any help you can give is wildly appreciated so here’s the idea.
- You contact me about an item you are going to buy — regardless of what I say about the item. If it is something I want to review, then we continue down this bullet point road.
- We have a quick and easy contract saying that you will buy the item from me on X date and for Y price. This is assurance. And the contract will also stipulate as to damage, etc, from my usage of the item. (In other words, if I break it, I keep it.)
- We discuss which options/colors/size of the item you want. I buy the item with my money (not yours) from an agreed retailer (Amazon, Apple, etc.).
- I will use the item (taking good care) for 1–3 weeks (what ever the time period agreed to before hand, but typically at least 10 days is good for most items).
- Upon publishing my review I will package up the item as good as new and ship it to you once you send along the agreed amount. (PayPal, Stripe, meet up in the Seattle area.)
- Once you receive the item, and confirm it is in the expected condition, our transaction is done.
- If the item isn’t acceptable, you send it back to me and get a full refund (less shipping on your side). Alternatively we can discuss a partial refund and you keeping the item.
Another Way To Help
The best way to help me out is to become a member. It may seem like a small amount of money, but it adds up. Other than that, feel free to get in touch if you think you can help in other ways.
Note: This site makes use of affiliate links, which may earn the site money when you buy using those links.